Phillip Phillips has made history.
The Season 11 champion finished at number-two on the Digital Songs chart this week, as the single “Home” was downloaded 278,000 times, according to Nielsen SoundScan. Its the biggest sales week for any winner’s coronation single since SoundScan began tracking downloads in 2003.
Phillips’ achievement is also the fourth most impressive debut of 2012, placing behind Justin Bieber‘s “Boyfriend” (521,000), Maroon 5‘s “Payphone” featuring Wiz Khalifa (493,000) and Katy Perry’s “Part of Me” (411,000).
The singer will soon be celebrating in a hospital bed, however. Once a high fever comes down, he is scheduled to undergo surgery in order to cure a kidney ailment. We wish him a speedy recovery!
- Phillip Phillips Wins ‘American Idol’ (rollingstone.com)
- ‘American Idol’ winner Phillip Phillips sells 278,000 downloads of ‘Home’ in debut sales week (music-mix.ew.com)
- ‘American Idol’ Phillip Phillips’ ‘Home’ Scores Huge Debut (mtv.com)
- Phillip Phillips single sales set Idol record (realityblurred.com)
- Phillip Phillips Had 8 Kidney Surgeries During American Idol (kymx.radio.com)
- Twitter freaks out as Phillip Phillips wins American Idol (twitchy.com)