Posted by: maboulette | September 8, 2011

U.S. CITIZEN LINKED TO TERROR PLOT ON 9/11 ANNIVERSARY


Project logo

Image via Wikipedia

From ABC News

U.S. authorities are scrambling to sort through information that the CIA developed in the past 24 hours indicating that at least three individuals entered the U.S. in August by air with the intent to launch a vehicle-borne attack against Washington, D.C. or New York around the anniversary of 9/11, according to intelligence officials.

One of the intelligence and law enforcement officials that ABC News spoke to said that one of the individuals may be a U.S. citizen and a second official said that possibly two of the individuals may have had U.S. documentation — whether green cards or passports was unclear.

As news of the information became public, authorities began weighing whether to raise the national threat level.

Although authorities said they had not yet identified the suspects, the operatives are believed to have embarked on their journey to the U.S. from the tribal areas of Pakistan, according to two senior officials. One official said the route may have taken them through Dubai.

The information on the plot was “very specific ” said one official, adding ” It seems like the information has been worked for a while.” A second and third official confirmed the specifics of the possible plot added that a declassified bulletin is expected to be issued shortly.

Multiple sources say that federal authorities will send a bulletin to law enforcement tonight. The threat, one official told ABC News, is credible. Now authorities are making every effort to confirm it and to hunt down any plotters.

 Initially, one of those officials added that at least two rental trucks — one from Penske and one from Budget — were being sought nationwide. Those trucks have since been recovered and appear to have had no connection to the plotters.

The threat information was obtained recently and originated from overseas sources — Pakistan, according to one official.

According to a White House official, “The President was briefed on this specific threat information this morning and has been updated on it throughout the day. The United States government has already significantly enhanced its security posture in advance of the 9/11 anniversary to protect the country against possible terrorist threats. Nevertheless, the President directed the counterterrorism community to redouble its efforts in response to this credible but unconfirmed information.”

Earlier this evening, top Congressional leaders were briefed on the terror threat by White House counterterrorism advisor John Brennan.

Advertisements

Responses

  1. […] U.s. Citizen Linked to Terror Plot on 9/11 Anniversary (maboulette.wordpress.com) […]

  2. […] U.s. Citizen Linked to Terror Plot on 9/11 Anniversary (maboulette.wordpress.com) […]

  3. Protected meaningful link building is necessary
    nowadays


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: